Effective Date: September 2018
The protection and security of your personal data are important to Ascensia. This Privacy Statement tells you how we collect, use, share, and protect your personal data, and together with the website Terms and Conditions, applies to your use of contourfood.com (Website).
Our Website is developed and operated by Foodient (dba Whisk) on behalf of Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG (“Ascensia” “we”, “us”, “our”) of Peter Merian-Strasse 90, P.O. Box 4052 Basel, Switzerland, who is the controller of your personal data processed via this Website.
Please read this Privacy Statement to understand how Ascensia may process your personal data provided via our Website.
- Personal Data Collection
- How We Use Your Information
- Sharing your Personal Data
- Storing your Personal Data
- Keeping your Personal Data Secure
- Google Analytics
- Opting out of cookies
- Exercising Your Rights
- Links to Other Web Sites
- Changes to this Privacy Statement
- Contact Us
1. Personal Data Collection
When you submit personal data to us, Ascensia will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- Communications via our Website: If you contact us with an enquiry or request and similar situations in which you have chosen to provide the information to us, we will process the information to respond to your request including for customer services support. When you communicate with us via our Website, the types of information we may collect from you include: your name, contact details including your phone number and email address, and details of your communication or request.
- Products or Services We Deliver To You: Where we are delivering products or services to you, we will collect your personal data in order to provide the services you have requested. If you choose to register to become a member on our Website, you are required to give certain personal information such as your name and contact details including your email address. You may also be asked to provide information about your age, ethnicity, food allergies, and food preference data such as what cuisines you like and dietary preferences. We may also ask you to provide information about your health such as your diabetes type and your level of diabetes control to make sure we send you information that is tailored to you.
- Contests, Promotions, Offers and Surveys: From time to time, our Website requests personal information from users via contests, promotions, offers and surveys. Participation in these contests, promotions, offers, and surveys is completely voluntary and you may choose whether to disclose personal information in connection with these activities. Personal Information requested in these activities might include contact information (e.g., your name and shipping address) and demographic information (e.g., your zip code or age level). We use this information to notify you if you’ve won and to award prizes. We use information we collect in surveys for internal purposes, such as to ascertain the use of this Website and improve its usefulness to you. We may also provide third parties with this information for the purpose of contacting you regarding your award prize, and we may also combine it with some or all of your registration information. These disclosures are discussed in greater detail below in the “Sharing Your Personal Data” section. When we provide information collected during a contest, promotion, offer, or survey on the Website to third parties, we always disclose this to you at the time of collection.
- Information About Your Device: When you use our Website, we will automatically receive technical information, including the website that you used to link to our Website, the websites that you visit from our Website, the type of device you use, mobile network information your operating system and software version number, IP address, the type of browser you use, the region, country and language code and time zone setting. We do not use this information to identify any individual.
- Your Health-Related Information: Where you request a service from us, complete an online registration or web form or contact us with an enquiry or request, you may choose to provide us with your health-related information in order for us to provide a service, respond to your communication or request, or to help us provide customer service tailored to your needs.
We will ask you for your explicit consent to the processing of your health-related information as described in this Privacy Statement, which you can withdraw at any time by contacting us at: [email protected].
2. How We Use Your Information
We process your personal data for the following purposes:
- to process any request for a product or service you make;
- to enable us to respond to an inquiry or other request you make when you contact us via our Website, including for customer services support;
- to continue to develop, test and improve our Website, including to offer new functionality and features;
- to better understand how you interact with our Website, including its functionality and features, and ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner; and
- to allow you to participate in contests, promotions, offers, surveys or interactive features of our Website, when you choose to do so.
In order to comply with local legal and regulatory requirements, we may process your personal data:
- as necessary if we need to issue a safety notice or corrective action related to any of our products or services, or
- to report events to governmental or regulatory authorities that are responsible for medical devices and/or telemedicine policies, including related to medical device reimbursement and funding.
For reasons of public interest in the area of public health relating to medical devices, to conduct scientific research and/or for our legitimate business purposes, we may use and disclose to third party researchers statistical, aggregated, anonymised or de-identified/pseudonymised information (this is information with which Ascensia will remove personal identifiers such as name and email address) for the purposes of:
- determining and improving the effectiveness of diabetes management techniques, therapies, treatments and costs;
- researching and evaluating how our products and services are provided and used; and
- evaluating the performance, impact and experience of our products and services (including based on user demographics, such as geography).
On the basis of your consent, we may process your health-related information (as outlined under “Your Health-Related Information” section above) to enable us to respond to an enquiry or other request you make when you contact us via our Website or to help us understand your needs so that we can better assist you, including in connection with your use of our Contour Diabetes App.
3. Sharing Your Personal Data
We do not rent or sell your personal data to anyone. Ascensia may share your information with:
- Ascensia Diabetes Care US Inc. and Ascensia Diabetes Care UK Limited, the details of which are listed on our Website at http://diabetes.ascensia.com/en/contact-us;
- Foodient (dba Whisk), who is the developer of the Website;
- a prospective seller or buyer in the event of a sale or purchase of any Ascensia business or asset so that the buyer can continue to provide you with information and services;
- data processors that we engage to provide services for us. Where we provide your personal data to data processors, they are required to keep your personal data confidential and secure, and must only use your personal data as instructed by us;
- third parties in conjunction with your entry into a contest or promotion or your participation in a survey or similar activity on the Website. You may be asked for additional information in order to enter the contest or promotion or participate in a survey. The third parties will use the information we provide to them, along with any information you provide during your entry, request, or participation, in order to (i) notify you if you have won a prize in a contest or sweepstakes, and (ii) to fulfil, or facilitate fulfilment of, requests for products or services you may make in connection with your entry, request, or participation. These third parties are contractually obligated to keep all such information confidential and to only use it for the purposes for which it was provided; and
- our business partners or service providers where you have chosen to share your personal data through various features and functionality provided via our Website.
We may also disclose your personal data where required to respond to authorized requests from government authorities or where required by law, including for national security. Where we are required by law, we may also disclose your personal data where it is necessary to enforce or apply our Website Terms and Conditions, this Privacy Statement or other agreements, to investigate or protect the rights, property or safety of Ascensia and our group companies, our products and services and our customers, distributors or business partners or to prevent or take action regarding illegal activities or fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or as evidence in litigation. Your personal data may be subject to foreign laws and may be accessible by foreign governments, courts, law enforcement and regulatory agencies.
4. Storing your Personal Data
Your personal data will be stored on servers located in the European Union. We may also transfer personal data to a service provider located outside the European Union, including for the administration of an inquiry or request you make via our Website or the provision of support services. The United States may have different levels of data protection than those that apply in your country of residence and where we transfer personal data, we have entered into arrangements to protect the processing of personal data.
Ascensia will store your information for as long as we have to by law, and where there is no legal requirement, we will only store it for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it was collected as described in this Privacy Statement. To determine the appropriate period for storing personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
5. Keeping your Personal Data Secure
Ascensia implements appropriate administrative, technical and physical safeguards to protect the confidentiality, integrity and availability of your personal data. We will use strict procedures and security features, including cryptographic techniques, and take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure your personal data is processed securely and in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
Please note that the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although Ascensia will do its best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted via our Website and any transmission is at your own risk.
We use the following cookies on our Website:
- Strictly necessary cookies: Required for the operation of our Website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Website, to move around the Website and to use its features.
- Analytical/performance cookies: Allowing Ascensia to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our Website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our Website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies: These recognise you when you return to our Website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, for example, your choice of language or region.
Some of these are persistent cookies that may be used if you log on to restricted areas of our Website to remember who you are. Others are session cookies that may be used for anonymous identification of a website visit for technical purposes only. Session cookies are stored only temporarily during the browsing sessions and are deleted once the browser is closed.
- to improve our Website security;
- to identify you when you sign-in to our Website and remember your preferences;
- to analyse how you use our Website by tracking specific actions on our Website, such as the completion of a purchase and visits to the various pages of our Website;
- to collect anonymous statistical information on how visitors use our Website so that we can make improvements to its usability and to improve content delivery value;
7. Google Analytics
We use Google Analytics cookies to collect information and compile reports about how visitors use our Website, and we use this information to help us improve our Website. Google Analytics mainly uses first-party cookies which are not shared across different websites that you visit. The information that the cookies collect is mostly anonymous and includes the number of visitors to the Website, where those visitors originate from and how many times they have visited the Website. Google has published information in relation to Privacy and safeguarding data.
Google Analytics will collect your IP address, which is a unique code assigned to every computer and device connected to the Internet. IP addresses are usually assigned in geographic blocks and may allow website operators to identify the country, state and city in which the computer or device is based. We may collect either the full or a portion of an IP addresses to help us identify the location of our website visitors.
Google Analytics also uses third-party cookies (such as the DoubleClick cookie) on websites where Google Analytics Advertising Features are used, such as Remarketing or AdWords. Our use of Google Analytics’ Remarketing feature allows targeted and relevant advertising to be delivered to you when you browse elsewhere on the internet. This feature can also work cross-device where you have a Google account and you have chosen to enable Google to associate your web browsing history with your account and to use information from your account to personalise advertising you see across the internet. When you’re signed-in to your Google account, Google will use your data together with the analytics data they obtain by the third-party cookies on our Website to serve better advertising on other websites you visit and based on your past browsing habits. In order to support this feature, Google will collect user’s Google-authenticated identifiers.
More information in relation to these advertising cookies can be found at http://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/technologies/ads/. You may opt-out of these features by visiting Google’s Ads Settings.
8. Opting out of cookies
You may refuse to accept cookies by altering the settings on your internet browser (for example Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox). Please note that if you choose not to permit cookies some areas of our Website may not function properly or be accessible.
In general, by consulting the help menu item in your internet browser, instructions on how to disable or delete cookies is available. Most browsers are set-up to accept these cookies automatically. In addition, you can deactivate the storing of cookies or adjust your browser to inform you before the cookie is stored on your computer. You may also use self-regulation programs available in your jurisdiction to manage the way that companies other than Google advertise to you, such as the EU-based Your Online Choices.
Please note though, that if you delete your cookies:
- We will no longer know that you've opted out of online behavioural advertising, so the banners from our third-party advertisers will reappear when you visit other selected websites.
- We will no longer automatically recognise that you have agreed to our Privacy Statement and will ask for confirmation of this.
Our Website is not intended for or targeted at children under 16, and we do not knowingly or intentionally collect or use any personal data of anyone we know to be under 16 years old without the prior affirmative, verifiable consent of his or her parent/guardian. If we discover that a child under 16 years old has provided us with personal data online through our Website, we will take reasonable steps to delete this data. If you are a parent/guardian with any concerns regarding your child’s personal data in connection with our Website, please contact Ascensia at [email protected] or by mail to Ascensia Diabetes Care Holdings AG, Peter Merian-Strasse 90, P.O. Box, 4052 Basel, Switzerland.
10. Exercising Your Rights
Residents of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland: You have the right to: request (a) access to the personal data we hold about you; (b) request we correct any inaccurate personal data we hold about you; (c) request we delete any personal data we hold about you; (d) restrict the processing of personal data we hold about you; (e) object to the processing of personal data we hold about you; and/or (f) receive any personal data we hold about you in a structured and commonly used machine-readable format or have such personal information transmitted to another company. We may ask you for additional information to confirm your identity and for security purposes, before disclosing information requested to you.
Where you have been asked to consent to the processing of your personal data, we will provide you with an opportunity to withdraw your consent. You can withdraw consent, such as by contacting us using our contacts details below. In each case you will be given information about how to withdraw consent. Any withdrawal of consent will not affect the lawfulness of the processing based on your consent before the withdrawal. Please also note that where you withdraw consent, we will only stop processing your personal data that relates to the withdrawal of consent.
To exercise any of your rights in connection with your personal data, please contact Ascensia by email at [email protected] or by mail to Ascensia Diabetes Care UK Limited, Ascensia House, Albert Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1DL. We will process any request in line with any local laws and our policies and procedures. If you are located in the EEA, you have the right to lodge a complaint about how we process your personal data with the supervisory authority in your country.
11. Links to Other Web Sites
Our Website may contain links to other third-party websites that are not governed by this Privacy Statement. Although we endeavour to link only to websites with high privacy standards, this Privacy Statement will no longer apply once you leave our Website.
Links to other websites are provided for information only and do not constitute endorsements of those other websites. Ascensia and/or its affiliated companies are not responsible for the content of links or third-party websites and do not make any representation regarding their content or accuracy. Your use of third-party websites is at your own risk.
12. Changes to this Privacy Statement
Any changes we make to our Privacy Statement in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy Statement.
13. Contact Us
Questions, comments and requests regarding this Privacy Statement are welcomed and should be addressed to [email protected] or to Ascensia Diabetes Care UK Limited, Ascensia House, Albert Road, Newbury, Berkshire, RG14 1DL. If you contact us, we will do our utmost to address any concerns you may have about our processing of your personal data.